Asparagus aids in good gut flora. It contains a special carbohydrate called inulin that we don’t digest but the friendly bacteria in our large intestine do. When our diet contains good amounts of inulin, the growth and activity of these friendly bacteria increase. When populations of health-promoting bacteria are large, it’s more difficult for unfriendly bacteria to gain a foothold in our intestinal tract.
Asparagus is nutrient dense and a leading supplier among vegetables of folic acid, a good source of potassium, great for fiber, significant source for thiamin and vitamin b6, contains no fat or cholesterol, and one of richest sources of rutin, a nutrient that strengthens capillary walls ~ for just a few of its benefits. These bright green stalks are the quintessential seasonal side dish to bring Spring to your table.
This recipe easily doubles for company ~ just make sure vegetables are not crowded in the roasting pan. This same method also works for roasting slices of root vegetables, onions, and sweet bell peppers to name a few. For your health and the planet’s, go organic whenever possible
Roasted Asparagus ~ Serves 4
1 bunch (1lbs) of asparagus ~ for best results, choose similarly sized stalks
Juice of ½ orange and/or 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
Ground black pepper and fine crystal sea salt
2 Tbl chopped mixed fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, and mint)
- Preheat oven to 450F. Line large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim tough end from each stalk (about last 1 ½” or so) and lay spears on baking sheet.
- Squeeze orange juice and/or drizzle vinegar over asparagus, toss to coat, season with salt and pepper and arrange on sheet.
- Roast, shaking baking sheet occasionally, until just tender, 8-10 minutes, watching carefully after 5 minutes to avoid overcooking.
- Transfer to platter, sprinkle herbs over top and serve.
- Try lime, grapefruit, Meyer lemon, or blood orange juice instead
- Toss ½ to 1 tsp. of curry powder with the asparagus before roasting
- Thinly slice 6 organic sun dried tomatoes in extra virgin olive oil and toss before roasting
Try these variations on your roasted asparagus before serving:
- Crumbled goat cheese
- Thinly sliced or crumbled hard-boiled egg
- Dab with Irish butter and sprinkle with shredded Irish Cheddar while still hot, just before serving
- Splash with sherry vinegar or champagne vinegar
- Toss with fresh orange or lemon zest